BRNO

It's been a while from the last career inspiration interview. Told myself, that I will do it monthly, but because of lack of time chasing people and creating interviews I had to quit myself from it for a while when it get intense at university and around.
For the month of August I am bringing an interview with lovely Petra, a fashion illustrator from Slovakia. I have been interviewing Alex as my first interview in this section and his way of illustrating is very different from Petra. Read and see more of her work here!

Byla to už doba kdy jsem naposledy dala interview do inspirační sekce. Řekla jsem si, že to budu dělat měsíčně, I kvůli nedostatečnému času psát lidem, psát a upravovat interview jsem musela na chvíli přestat když ve škole šlo do tuhého. 
Na měsíc Srpen vám přináším interview s novou fashion illustratorkou Peťou ze Slovenska. Už jsem dělala první interview s Alexem (též ilustrátor) jestli si pamatujete. Ale každý má svůj směr. Čtete dál o tvorbě Petry.



1. Introduce us a bit about yourself and your background.    Povězte nám něco o sobě.
Ahojte, volám sa Peťa. Mám 22 rokov, študujem a vo voľnom čase sa venujem tvorbe módnych ilustrácií a písaniu.

Hello, my name is Petra and I’m 22 years old. I am studying and in my free time I enjoy creating fashion illustrations and writing.



2. Are you a full time fashion illustrator or freelancer?
    Jsi fashion illustratorkou na plný úvazek nebo jen freelance?
Som freelancer, vzhľadom na to, že sa ilustrovaniu venujem zatiaľ iba pol roka.

I am a freelancer, because I am doing it just about half a year now.

3. Tell us more about how and what driven you into fashion illustrating.
     Řekni nám jak ses k tomu dostala?
Instagram nie je miestom len pre zdieľanie fotografií, ale taktiež skvelou príležitosťou ako sa zviditeľniť a prezentovať svoju prácu. Práve vďaka tejto aplikácii som objavila módnych ilustrátorov. Ich práca ma fascinovala po všetkých stránkach, no zostalo to iba pri obdivovaní. Vtedy mi ani len neprišlo na um, že by som to skúsila i ja. Pred cca pol rokom však prišiel deň, keď som si povedala, že jediné čo si budem vyčítať je to, že som to neskúsila.

Instagram is not the only place for sharing photos, but as well a great opportunity how to maximize visibility of own presentation of work. Thanks to this, you have discovered my fashion illustrations. Illustration has fascinated me from every side and it didn’t stay in admiring, thus I have to try it myself too. Approximately half a year ago it happened and if I wouldn’t try it I would regret it.

4. Are you planning to do it as a full time job?
Myslím, že musí byť skvelé začínať každý nový deň s vedomím, že vaša práca je zároveň aj záľubou či naplnením sna. Je samozrejmé, že ani v tomto prípade sa človek nevyhne nepríjemným či stresovým situáciám, no určite sa zvládajú  ľahšie. Splnil by sa mi jeden z veľkých snov ak by som sa raz dostala v ilustrovaní na profesionálnu úroveň a mohla sa tým aj živiť.


5. Where do you seek for inspiration? / What inspires you? Any other artists admiring and influenced by?
Kde čerpáš inspiraci a nebo kdo tě inspiruje?
Zaujímam sa o módu, no som introvert a tak sa nepovažujem za dobrý materiál pre objektív. Radšej sa nechám inšpirovať zaujímavými ľuďmi s vkusom, ktorých nájdem na Instagrame. Vždy prihliadam na to, či je daný outfit vhodný na ilustrovanie a nestane sa z neho vo finále iba jednofarebná čmuha. Zo všetkých módnych ilustrátorov si nenechám ujsť žiadnu ilustráciu od Holly Nichols.

I am interested in fashion, I am introvert, and therefore I don’t consider myself a good material in front of objective. I prefer to be inspired by inspirative people with taste which we can find them on Instagram. I always look at whether the outfit is suitable for illustrating to avoid one one colour spot in the final sketch. From every illustrators I cant miss an illustration from Holly Nichols.

6. You have very specific art of a fashion illustrating, how would you describe it and how have you developed it?
Úprimne, ešte stále som v procese vytvárania si svojho rukopisu. Nie všetky ilustrácie sú tvorené rovnakým štýlom kreslenia i keď každá je digitálna. To mi však neprekáža, závisí to od mojej nálady a charakteru outfitu/fotografie. Zmeny v mojej tvorbe vidím každou novou ilustráciou, no ešte sa tomu nevenujem tak dlho aby som mala jednotný štýl u každej ilustrácie.  

To be honest, I am still in the process of creating my way. Not all illustrations are created in the same style of drawing, even though all are digital. That doesn’t matter to me now, as it depends on my mood, characters of an outfit-photograph. I see changes in every new illustration I make and I am not doing it for long time to create a signature and style in every illustration.


7. What do you do besides fashion illustrating?
Som študentkou marketingovej komunikácie (reklamy) na vysokej škole v Bratislave. Keďže študujem kreatívny odbor, som rada že súvisí aj s tým čo ma baví, a to je okrem ilustrovania aj písanie. Som nielen freelance ilustrátor, ale aj freelance copywriter.

I am a marketing communication (advertisements) student at the university in Bratislava. Even though I study a creative course, I am glad that it overlaps with what I like and enjoy and that is illustrating and writing. I am not only a freelance illustrator but as well a freelance copywriter.

8. Do you enjoy only fashion illustrating or do you do other stuff too?
12 rokov som popri základnej škole a gymnáziu navštevovala aj umeleckú školu, konkrétne výtvarný odbor. Nakresliť viem portrét, namaľovať krajinku aj modelovať z hliny. Úprimne ma však nenapĺňalo nikdy ani jedno z toho, niečo mi v tom chýbalo. Nástupom na vysokú školu som sa kresleniu prestala venovať, mysliac si že sa k tomu už nevrátim. A potom som TO našla. 

12 years I had attended a creative school along with a primary and secondary school, to be specific it was a drawing course. I know how to draw a portrait, nature and clay models. Honestly, I wasn’t that enthusiastic about any of that, I felt that something has been missing from it. When I start a university, I quit drawing and thought that I will not come back again. And suddenly I found THAT thing.


9. What do you enjoy the most from being a fashion illustrator and what are the most stressful things?
Najviac ma teší robiť radosť druhým mojou tvorbou. Je to obojstranný proces, pozitívne ohlasy zase robia radosť mne.
Nepríjemné je, že nemôžem vyhovieť každému a mnohí nedokážu pochopiť to, že tvorba ilustrácie trvá niekoľko hodín. Ilustrujem vo voľnom čase, popri štúdiu a ostatných aktivitách. Pozerať do obrazovky celý deň nie je mojim cieľom. Chcem sa vyhnúť tomu, aby som sa niekedy púšťala do ilustrácie s nechuťou a tým si ničila svoju záľubu. I keď som za každú pochvalu vďačná verím, že sa stretnem s pochopením. Predsa len som človek a nie stroj.

The most what I enjoy about it to make somebody else happy with my creation. It’s a two way process, positive feedbacks make again me happy.
What is unpleasant is that I can’t accommodate to everybody and not everybody can understand that creating an illustration takes hours. I do illustrating in my free times, during my studies and other activities. To stare at the monitor whole day is not my goal. I want to avoid myself from illustrating something that I do not like, which will destroy my taste and passion to hobby. Even though I hope that the understanding will cross with sympathy of positive reactions from people. At the end, I am a human not a machine.

10. Any work/projects or collaborations that you are proud of?
Som hrdá na každú ilustráciu, ktorá splní účel a má pozitívne reakcie. Bavia ma spolupráce s blogerkami či internetovými stránkami. Je skvelé vidieť svoju tvorbu aj mimo Instagramu.

I am proud of every illustration which accomplishes its goals and have positive reactions. I enjoy collaborations with bloggers or online websites. It is great to see my work beyond Instagram.

11. Are you planning anything big with your fashion illustrating career/hobby?
Som vďačná za každú zaujímavú ponuku, ktorá príde. Veľmi by ma bavilo pracovať v nejakom módnom magazíne, tak možno raz... :)

I am glad for every opportunity which comes. I would really like to work in some fashion magazine, so maybe once… J

12. Any inspiration quote or message you would like to share with readers?

"If you can dream it, you can do it."  Walt Disney




See more of her work by following her on instagram!

Mrkněte a followujte Petru a její práci na instagramu!

Find me as well on facebook /twitter /instagram /bloglovin' /tumblr /shop my closet /photography /ask me